Saturday, April 12, 2014

Fushigi Yuugi Chapter 1: The Man with the Ogre Symbol on His Forehead

 I’m just an ordinary high school student. Or at least I was until fate changed my life forever. Before I knew it I was living a life that is not ordinary at all.
My name is Miaka Yuuki. I’m not a very smart student but my friend Yui Hongo is. I love eating and going out with my friends. I have a big brother named Keisuke and we constantly fight like normal siblings do. My mom pushes me so hard because she wanted me to pass the entrance exam in some prestigious school.
Yui and I were in the national library one afternoon to study for the upcoming entrance exam when it all happened. I saw a strange vision… a big red bird surrounded by red light and flapping its wings. I didn’t know what got into me but I suddenly had the feeling that I need to know what it was and so my feet brought me into the restricted section of the library. Yui followed after me and we found a strange Chinese book with the title, “The Universe of the Four Gods”. We opened the book together and as expected from the smart Yui Hongo, she was able to read the old Chinese book.*
Yui started reading it. …”This is the story of the girl who made her dreams come true after she came to possess the seven stars of Suzaku and many powers were bestowed upon her. The story itself has a spell. The one who reads it through will be given the power and granted a wish just like the girl in the story. Because the story begins and becomes real the moment the first page is turned.”**
The next moment, the same strange red light overwhelmed us and when we opened our eyes we were both in a strange place. That’s the first time I seriously felt fear. There are no buildings around, only barren land and mountains. This is definitely not Tokyo.
After a while we saw men wearing what looked like old Chinese clothes. It wasn’t long before we realized that they happened to be slave traders. I was surprised that there are still people like them at this point in time. Now, I’m beginning to wonder if we were still in the same time period.
One of the men held me in a tight grip and it definitely hurt but I can’t give up now. Not when I know that this is entirely my fault. If I hadn’t been so curious about that strange vision then nothing of this sort might have happened. And Yui… I can hear Yui calling my name and I know I have to save both of us.
 I kicked the man with all my might. But being a woman really has some disadvantages. They were really strong and not to mention there are so many of them. Just when I was about to give up, a guy came to our rescue.
The moment I saw him I know I won’t be able to forget him. Not ever. He has blue eyes, quite a long hair and he’s also wearing old Chinese clothes. But most of all I noticed the red symbol on his forehead read as “ogre”. He beat the men in a few minutes and all those time I was just staring at him unable to move while Yui who stayed beside me was also speechless.
I heard him say, “Are you okay?” but I’m still too shocked to answer. He’s handsome…no he’s more than handsome. And moreover, he’s stronger than any normal human. The ogre symbol is gone and I wonder if it only appears when he’s fighting.
 But what really surprised me the most is when he asked money as payment for saving us. And arrogantly he said, “Don’t tell me I saved a couple of losers?” Without waiting for a reply he started leaving.
“Wait!” Yui called but the guy didn’t turn.
 I think it’s just right to pay him. After all he saved our lives. I searched my pockets for some money. Maybe he could also help us go back home and I was clinging tightly for that hope. I found some bills but when I turned to look for him he’s already gone. And worse Yui is nowhere to be found as well.

To be Continued…

Note:
*In Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden I think it was mentioned that Takiko Okuda’s father translated the Chinese book into Japanese so I wonder why in the anime the book is written in Chinese. But I decided to stick with the anime anyway.
**This is the exact words used by Yuu Watase when translated into English

No comments: