Saturday, May 3, 2014

You're My Melody Chapter 20: Doing the right thing

At first Jaejoong thought he was dreaming. That couldn't be Seohyun. It's just too good to be true. He crossed the distance between them. It was that same eyes. The same hair... still he couldn't believe it.

He walked towards her then touched her face just to make sure he’s not imagining things and that she really is there in front of him. Thank God she's not running away. If she did, he would have run after her but with an injured leg, he doubts if he would've been able to keep up.

Seohyun didn’t know what to do. She knew she had to leave but she just couldn’t move.

"How have you been?" She asked a little awkwardly.

"Hell." That was an understatement, Jaejoong realized. After all he'd been through since the day she left; there is no word to describe how terrible his life had been. His mind was in turmoil every single day worrying about her and wondering where on earth she could be.

Seohyun didn’t expect that. She thought they were living a peaceful life the moment she decided to disappear from their lives. The fact that Jaejoong’s life had been nothing but peaceful didn’t occur to her at all. Questions came rushing to her mind. How he has been. Is he eating well? Are the others ok? But she’s afraid to ask. She’s even afraid to speak a single word. She realized everything is too late now.

If she stayed any longer she might change her mind and start begging Jaejoong to take her back. In her current state Seohyun thinks she might do just that. "I think I should leave." She said.

However, leaving proved to be difficult. Jaejoong wouldn’t let her go so easily. "Oh, I think you better not.” He replied. “No, Seohyun. You’re not going anywhere. I made a mistake for letting you go the last time. I’m not making the same mistake twice."

Seohyun realized he was serious when he followed her to the restaurant where she works. Mika-chan was gaping at the door when Jaejoong walked in.

“Irashai~” she paused when she realized who came in “-mase” she finished.

“Table for two.” Jaejoong told Mika who stood frozen on the door. She was wondering if Jaejoong came with someone. Probably one of the other members of tohoshinki. Or maybe his girlfriend. Mika was a little disappointed by the thought so when she didn’t find anybody she was quite relieved. But the fact that he asked for a table for two might mean he’s waiting for someone. She was still thinking about it when she led Jaejoong to an empty table and asked for his order.

“What’s your specialty?” he asked in Japanese.

“You should try our ramyeon. It’s really delicious.” She spoke in korean so Jaejoong realized she’s probably Korean and decided to speak in Korean as well.

"I think I’ll have that ramyeon, a kimchi, samgyeopsal and a girl named Seohyun to go along with it.”

“Ahmm.. sorry? What was the last one?” Mika asked again thinking she probably heard it wrong.

“I said Seohyun.” He said again.

“I’m sorry but we don’t have Seohyun in our menu.”

“You have an employee named Seohyun right? I would like to talk to her.” Jaejoong said hoping Seohyun didn’t bother to change her name.

Series of questions came rushing through Mika’s head but that can wait. She can just ask Seohyun later. “Just a moment sir, I’ll see what I can do.”

Jaejoong watched the girl walk away and approach Seohyun. He saw how Seohyun’s face showed annoyance which is not surprising at all.

“Seohyun-ah, Jaejoong-shi wanted to talk to you.”

“Can you tell him to just go away?”
“Tell him yourself.” Mika left afterwards leaving Seohyun the impression that Mika’s probably mad at her. Seohyun couldn’t blame her though. She was after all a liar.

When she reached Jaejoong’s table Seohyun said “Go away oppa” She didn’t even try to hide her annoyance.

Jaejoong ignored what she said and instead replied, “Sit.”

 “There’s no need for that because you’re leaving. Now.” Seohyun tried to lower her voice so the people on the other table won’t overhear. She doesn’t want to make a scene. Although the customers may not understand their conversation because they’re speaking in Korean, it’s still easy to conclude that they’re having a fight.

However Seohyun realized later that speaking softly wouldn’t make any difference because Jaejoong alone is already making all heads turn their way. Every time people come to the restaurant they stare at him with an am-i-dreaming look on their faces. Even Mika couldn’t seem to concentrate on her job. It wasn’t a surprise though. She is a Tohoshinki fan after all.

What makes her even more furious is that Jaejoong doesn’t seem to care about any of it. The nerve of the man! Why does he have to follow her all the way here and ruin everything? And now her friend hates her and it’s all because of him. And yet he still doesn’t seem to care.

Jaejoong is aware that his presence is causing a disturbance but he decided to ignore it. He hates it but it can’t be helped. Right now he has a mission to accomplish and it’s more important than anything else.

“I said sit.” Jaejoong said again. He realized he needs more patience than what he currently has.

Thankfully Seohyun did as she was told. She sat at the chair in front of him. Satisfied, Jaejoong smiled her usual sweet smile that melts her heart. For a moment Seohyun’s heart wavered and she almost forgot what she was fighting for. Any more of those and she might really just give up.
“I’m not going anywhere with you, oppa. Just go. Please…” she begged.

“What about that promise you gave me before?” Jaejoong said trying to change her mind by making her feel guilty.

Seohyun doesn’t have any excuse for that. She did break her promise and she still feels bad about it. “I already said I’m sorry…”

“You think leaving a note will be enough? Didn’t I tell you before? That’s not the proper way to apologize.”

“And how exactly do you want me to do it?” She didn’t wait for his answer because she suddenly remembered his words. If you want to apologize, you should do it exactly like that, he said. A kiss?! In front of all these people? “You’re crazy” She turned around and left. She couldn’t talk to him properly after all. She might as well just leave.

Seohyun walked away and headed to the kitchen thinking she won’t be followed but she was mistaken. Jaejoong was more persistent than she imagined.

“I’m sorry sir but this side is off limits.” Seohyun heard Mika told Jaejoong.

“Please just this once. I really need to talk to Seohyun.”

Mika hesitated but she eventually agreed “Ok sir. But please make it quick. Everyone’s busy around here.”

“Thank you.”

Before Seohyun knew it she couldn’t hide from him anymore. “Oh for godsake, get lost!” She told Jaejoong for a hundredth time. On the way to the restaurant, Seohyun kept repeating that phrase over and over but it didn’t seem to have any effect on Jaejoong. And it doesn’t seem to have any effect on him now.

“I’m not leaving unless you come with me.”

“Look, oppa… This is for the best. I’m just bothering everyone by staying.”

“No, Seohyun. You’ve done worse by leaving.”

“You’re not making any sense.”

“And you’re being difficult.”

“I’m busy oppa. Can’t you just go? Please?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because I still haven’t gotten what I wanted.”

“And that is?”

“You.” Seohyun sighed. She didn’t think it will be this difficult. “I told you before didn’t I? I’m possessive and I do anything I want.” Jaejoong continued.

“There’s no use talking to you…” she said. Jaejoong is really pushing her limits.

“Aren’t you feeling guilty for making my life a hell?”

“What does that have to do with me?”

“For one, I got injured because of you.”

For a moment Seohyun forgot what they were arguing about. Her thoughts were suddenly filled with worry. “What? How? Are you ok?”

The questions surprised Jaejoong but it pleases him to know she cares for him enough to worry about him. “I’m fine. But it doesn’t leave the fact that you’re the reason why I was injured in the first place.”

“Are you really ok?” She’s not willing to drop the topic until she’s sure he’s really fine.

"I said I’m fine but I’ll feel better if you'll kiss me" he grinned knowing he’s about to win this fight. Apparently it was a wrong move since Seohyun went back to defense mode.

"Forget it. Go die, for all I care." Seohyun didn't mean any of it of course and Jaejoong knows it.

"Common Seohyun… Let's go back home" he insisted.

"I said no!"

"Don’t you miss me?"

"No" she lied.

"Even a little?"

"Not even a bit"

"Well, I did miss you. Couldn't that reason be enough for you to come back?" That made her stop. Knowing that he misses her too makes a lot of difference. At this rate she will probably wrap her arms around him and never let go.

Seohyun sighed. “No, oppa. Please just go…”

“No Seohyun I’m not going anywhere without you.”

"Can you do me a favor?"

"Sure. What?"

"Get lost."

"Anything but that."

"Look oppa, I can’t go back now."

"Why not?"

"Because... because… I don't belong there."

“Where do you belong then? Here?

"No… I-" that's the problem. Seohyun doesn't think she belongs anywhere. She wanted to find her own place. "You wouldn’t even understand so forget it"

“Then help me understand”

“Oppa please… stop it”

“Stop what?”

“Trying to control my life.”

Jaejoong didn’t realize he was doing that. He didn’t know what to say to that. Seohyun on the other hand regretted what she said the moment she spoke the words. She noticed the effect it had on Jaejoong and she felt bad. They had a lot of arguments before and it might have seemed like Jaejoong decides everything for her but never once did she feel restricted in any way. She had more freedom than she could ever want. More than that, she felt loved and cared for. Jaejoong is not really trying to control her life. He was protecting something precious to him and Seohyun knows it.

“I’m sorry.” Jaejoong said.

“Y-you don’t have to apologize.” That statement was followed by an awkward silence.

“Do you really have to do this?” Jaejoong asked after a while.

“Yes.” Seohyun replied hoping Jaejoong wouldn’t ask for anything more. Thankfully he didn’t. Yes, she has to stay as far away as possible. But does she want it? No. Unfortunately, “having to” and “wanting to” are entirely two different things.

Jaejoong decided leaving will be the best option for him so he said. “I better go then.”

“O-okay.”

When Jaejoong left, Seohyun realized doing the right thing could be really hard.

No comments: