Saturday, April 12, 2014

Fushigi Yuugi Chapter 3: The Emperor

I found the guy with the ogre symbol on his forehead but I still couldn’t find Yui and worse the guy is not willing to help me find her. He already saved me twice and my instinct tells me he’s a good guy but he’s not willing to help me find Yui and I don’t know what to do anymore.

The guy started leaving but I couldn’t just let him so I followed him everywhere he went until he got annoyed. “Why can’t you just leave me alone?” he said.
“I won’t leave until you help me find Yui.”

“I have more important things to do and I don’t have time for those things.”

Suddenly an idea came to my mind. I faked a tear and started shouting, “Help! Everyone! This person is a slave trader!” That caught everyone’s attention.
He panicked. “Fine! Cut it out. I like your guts so I’ll help you find your friend.”

“Really??”

With a lot of effort he finally said “Yeah.”

“I’m Miaka Yuuki,” I said with a smile.

“I’m Tamahome.” He has a weird name but oh well, I’m in a weird place after all.

At that moment there was a sudden commotion and I wondered what caused it. What I saw amazed me. There was a long line of carriage and soldiers. It was a beautiful sight. “What’s going on?” I asked Tamahome.

“It’s the emperor,” he said. “If only I could have even just a piece of ornament in his crown…”

The emperor? I wonder what kind of person he is. “Then if I could get one piece of ornament from his crown, will you promise me you’ll do everything to help me find Yui?”

Absentmindedly he said, “Sure.”

I made my move and before I left I told him, “Don’t forget you promised!”

“W-what??” I heard him call behind me.

I approached the carriage but it was closed and I couldn’t see the face of the emperor but it didn’t stop me from doing what I want. “You’re highness,” I said. “My name is Miaka Yuuki and I wonder if I could have a piece of ornament from your crown?”

“Despicable!” someone shouted.  It happened so fast and the next thing I know the guards were all over me and pointing their spears at me. “Do you want me to cut your head off?” one of them said.

“W-why do you want to cut me off again?” With spears pointed at me and Yui gone I thought my day wouldn’t get any worse but I was wrong. The next thing I knew Tamahome was fighting the royal guards and then I… I can’t really tell what happened. I don’t even understand it myself.

It felt like I was floating in midair and then suddenly I saw Yui back in the library reading the Universe of the Four Gods. She went back home safely. Thank goodness. I tried to talk to her but I realized I couldn’t. Yui couldn’t see or hear me. And then the next moment I was back in Tamahome’s arms with spears still pointed at us.

As expected Tamahome and I were thrown in the palace’s dungeons and I felt really bad for causing trouble to Tamahome. All he ever did was to help me and in return I made him become a prisoner.

“What was that strange red light just a moment ago?” Tamahome asked me.
So it happened again? That red light was the reason I’m in this kind of place. “I saw Yui,” I told Tamahome. “She went back safely.”

“Then that’s good news.” Tamahome said trying to cheer me up. I realized he was right. At least Yui was able to go back. Then all I have to do is to make sure Tamahome and I can get out of here safely then I can go back home too.

I realized I was starving and then I remembered I had gums in my pocket. I gave some to Tamahome. The guards saw me eating and asked, “What did you just put in your mouth lady?” For godsake, don’t they even have gums in this kind of place? 

When I looked at Tamahome he was also amazed. An idea suddenly came to me. I blew hard and the gum popped. The guard was so surprised that he dropped the key. Tamahome was able to get hold of the key and we were able to get out.

The guards went after us so we hid inside a shrine and there I saw the bird in my vision. It’s exactly the image of the red bird I saw in the library. “W-what’s that?” I asked Tamahome. “That’s Suzaku.” When he noticed my confused expression he explained, “Suzaku is one of the four gods that protects our word. He appears with the image of a phoenix.”

“You’re really a strange girl. You don’t even know who Suzaku is. Where did you came from, really?”

I was no longer paying attention to Tamahome. I was so mesmerized by the image I saw. A phoenix… It’s so beautiful. I realized the palace is really a nice place. The rooms were huge, paintings on the walls shows beautiful sceneries and sayings written in Chinese which I couldn’t understand. It was so different from the place I grew up in. For a moment I forgot we were in danger.

“Tamahome…” When I looked back I couldn’t see Tamahome anywhere. I was thinking about a lot of things and I absent-mindedly wandered around the palace. It was already too late when I realized I was lost. That’s when I began to panic. I have to go back to the shrine but I don’t know how. The palace is too big and the hallways look so much alike. I didn’t even know where I came from.

I heard a laughing voice behind me and when I turn around I saw the most beautiful human being I’ve ever seen. I panicked. If this stranger called the guards then I’ll be back in the dungeons.

“Don’t worry, I’m on your side,” the stranger said. “What’s your name?”

“Miaka Yuuki.” I decided to tell the truth. He looked kind and I thought if I wanted to survive I have to befriend people and maybe they could help me go home.

“I am Hotohori, though people call me by a different name. You wear strange clothes. Where did you come from?”

I don’t know what to say. I’m not even sure if they’ve heard a place called Japan what more of Tokyo? “I came from someplace faraway.” I managed to say.

“Where do you plan to go now? If you’re looking for the exit, it’s that way.” I looked at the direction Hotohori was pointing. It seems like he was telling the truth. I really wanted to go home but first things first. I have to get Tamahome out of this mess.

“I’m looking for my friend. He got into trouble because of me. I have to find him first. Do you happen to know how to go to the shrine? I think Tamahome is still-.” I wasn’t able to finish because I suddenly heard the guards approaching. By the sound of their voices I realized they caught Tamahome. I saw them holding Tamahome in a tight grip with his hands bound on his back.

“Miaka, run!” Tamahome said when he noticed me. But I can’t just leave him. I was so frustrated I couldn’t do anything. I tried to fight them but all I was able to manage was just a small scratch on one of the men’s cheek.

After a few minutes of resistance, one of the guards caught me and with the way he held my arm, I realized he probably wanted to inflict as much pain to me as possible. He was probably mad at me for causing all those trouble for them and he was trying to get even by making sure I suffer.

It definitely hurt that I couldn’t help but grind my teeth. That’s all I can do to keep myself from screaming in pain. Tamahome probably noticed and for some reason he got really pissed. Then I saw it again, the red symbol on his forehead which lights up everytime he fights.

Suddenly I can feel my heart beating so hard as if it wanted to get out of my chest. I realized one thing. Tamahome is really handsome.

“Halt!” I almost forgot Hotohori was there until he spoke. “I command you to stop.” And then suddenly the guards bowed down in front of him. “Your highness,” every one said in unison. I noticed Tamahome was also surprised for a minute but he eventually bowed down and even forced me to do the same. I hesitated. Tamahome whispered, “He’s the emperor…”

The emperor?! But he’s so beautiful that I almost thought he’s a woman!

To be continued…

No comments: